EAO Home
Municipal Compliance Assistance
Ask a Compliance Question
Frequently Asked Questions @ MCAP
Business Compliance
Permit Assistance
Pollution Prevention Planning
School Science Laboratory Assistance
Governor's Environmental Awards
Green Hotels in the
Green Mountain State
Vermont Business Environmental
EAO Staff Contact


Municipalities are in a unique position when it comes to ensuring compliance with state and federal environmental regulations. Most municipalities do not have the financial resources to hire a full time environmental manager. Responsibility for environmental compliance is typically given to the town manager and is delegated to individuals such as municipal wastewater treatment plant operators and road department managers. Despite good intentions, these individuals often lack the time or experience required to identify and keep current with changing regulatory requirements with which they must comply. However, this doesn't lessen a municipality's liability or obligation when it comes to environmental compliance. Municipalities are still subject to inspections by state and federal regulators and are subject to enforcement actions, including fines, if violations are found.

The Municipal Compliance Assistance Program (MCAP) was developed to be a resource for municipalities, to help identify and understand state and federal environmental regulations with which they must comply. MCAP operates independently of the Department's regulatory programs. Assistance services are provided at no cost to the municipality and are confidential.

The MCAP is available to work with:

  • municipal garages
  • public works facilities
  • wastewater treatment facilities
  • water supply facilities
  • recreation departments
  • fire departments
  • schools

The MCAP will assist and respond to questions from:

  • zoning administrators
  • planning commissioners
  • select boards
  • town clerks
  • school boards

Office-Based Program

MCAP operates a toll-free hotline which municipalities can call with environmental compliance questions. MCAP is also developing a municipal environmental compliance guidebook and fact sheets that will address environmental issues of concern to municipalities. MCAP also provides periodic compliance assistance workshops on topics of interest to municipalities in Vermont.

On-Site Program

Municipalities can request an on-site assistance visit or voluntary compliance review of municipal facilities. Environmental regulations covered during a site visit include, but are not limited to:

  • solid waste
  • hazardous waste
  • wastewater
  • water supply
  • air quality

The municipality can determine what the focus of the compliance review will be. All site visits are followed up with a non-technical report detailing compliance issues identified and recommended corrective measures. Following the compliance review, the municipality will have the opportunity to voluntarily resolve non-compliance issues.

In addition to identifying compliance issues, the Compliance Assistance Specialist can make you aware of alternative technologies and changes to current processes or practices that may reduce the municipality's regulatory burden, improve worker health and safety, decrease environmental impacts and maybe even reduce costs.

For more information contact:

John Daly or Maura Mancini, Compliance Assistance Specialists
Telephone: (800) 974-9559


Send a compliance question to the Municipal Compliance Specialist.






VT DEC Environmental Assistance Office 1 National Life Dr. - Davis 1   Montpelier, VT  05620-3704   Tele: 1-800-974-9559   Fax: 802-828-1011

State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.      Access Government 24/7      About Vermont.Gov      Privacy Policy     Ask a State Librarian

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2003 State of Vermont - All rights reserved